What’s Happening around the course
Following the run of inclement weather, it looks as though we may see some better weather this week, which will allow the Greenkeepers to make some progress with planned work.
Whilst the course remains extremely wet, this week, Dale and Craig will be focussing on :
- Applying Lawn sand to the Greens
- Continue cutting down the willows to knee height (chainsaw being repaired)
- Dew greens daily
- Cut turf for the bunker project on 5th
- If ground conditions allow, cut greens, bunkers & holes.
- Refurbish pins due to damage caused by strong wind
February saw record levels of rainfall, let’s hope that March (traditionally a much drier month) is kinder to us !
Monday 23rd March – Friday 27th March are scheduled for course maintenance – A list will go up on the notice board for volunteers – if any member would like to / be able to lend a hand – please add your name to the list. Those days for volunteers will be the Monday 23rd and Tuesday 24th March.
Social – Dates for your diary
Friday 13th March Quiz Night
Friday 20th March Bingo
Friday 27th March Karaoke
Winter warmers: Whitley Gin & Lemonade £2.00
New arrival on the bar “Staropramen” in bottles.
Rugby Saturday deals HB £2.00 a pint (whilst stocks last)
Carling £3.20 a pint Strongbow £3.00
Golf – Dates for your diary
In January, Craig & Rachael Sherman stood down as Junior Organizers. We are looking for volunteers to help with the Junior Section. You will have help with the role from Wales Golf who actively help with our club. The Professional Hugh Williams from Pyle & Kenfig has also offered to coach our Juniors. Please help the club to help our Junior members learn and improve their golf. After all, they are our future………. If more information is required Craig or Gerald Thomas will be more than happy to help.
Six Nations Rugby Saturday Comps. Sat 7th & 14th March mixed 9 hole shotgun start. Start sheets will be in the foyer.
Please check BRS for daily for tee bookings and also check the room for functions booked.
**** New membership category***** Just Golf membership £365 for further details please contact the club, either by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01446 751043
Golf Committee – Course Walk – Wednesday 8th May/ Wednesday 6th June 2019
- 1st Hole
- Remove white chain fence to make cutting easier
- Strim against boundary fence
- Reduce in size the “ecological area” between 1st and 5th green (done)
- Small tree (looks dead) – just before road to GK compound – remove
- Strimming around base of trees
- Bunker right of 1st – when in play? (understand before end Jun)
- Consider letting the area behind the 1st & 4th greens become a sustainable area
- Rope by 2nd tee looks poor – alternatives?
- 1st fir on left (between 2nd & 5th) and leylandii behind it – thin or remove
- Trim right hand side of firs on left of hole – hole is getting narrower.
- Trim left hand side of leylandii to right of ladies tee.
- Surround of ladies’ tee (reduce cut height)
- Silver birches (left by 150 yds) – thin out / remove
- Sustainable area (Right of fairway) – Reduce size – Cut back from fir copse to square area.
- Bench, bin & ball washer – move location nearer tee area
- 4 tall trees (left corner) take out or reduce height (the ones in a line from the 150 market back to the tee box)
- Copse just after 150 (left) – trim branches
- Fairway right at 150 – 200 yds from green – Concave cut rather than convex to widen landing area
- 2 small trees right rough just after mound – remove to make cutting easier
- Spay ladies tee for weeds and cut surrounds to tee.
- Widen fairway on left near 150 yd marker.
- Thin leylandii at OOD on left of hole in Greenkeepers’ compound.
- Remove overhanging cherry tree on left between 150yd marker and tall trees (overhanging from OOB).
- Turn middle bunker into grass bunker (at present stones are constantly being raked up)
- The last fence panel between the course and the car park need fixing.
- Thin the first 2 trees to the right of the green.
- The posts between the tee and the road to the right of the tee are rotten and need replacement.
- Return the area between the bunkers and the green to fairway.
- Widen fairway to the left.
- Repair bare area to left of left-hand bunker (damaged by blowing sand).
- Widen the fairway to the left between 150 yd marker and green.
- Are the fairways as wide as they can be in all parts of the course. It is understood that certain areas are too rough to be mowed to fairway length but it was agreed previously to make fairways as wide as possible.
- Remove winter mats.